Here in mid Essex we are promote inclusivity, compassion, sensitivity and kindness towards patients, carers and relatives, and colleagues no matter what their sexual orientation or gender preference and are proud to be playing our part in reducing health inequalities LGBT people.
LGBT+ stands for lesbian, gay bisexual, transgender and the + simply means that we are inclusive of all identities, regardless of how people define themselves.
We know that:
- 1 in 5 LGBT patients report that their sexual orientation is a factor in delaying asking for help
- 1 in 4 LGBT people are not out to health professionals.
- LGB patients are twice as likely to report ‘no trust or confidence’ in their GP.
- 3 in 4 trans people have been called the wrong name or pronoun by a health professional
- Over half of trans people feel they need to pretend to be non-trans with health professionals
- If LGBT people have experienced discrimination, their fear of further discrimination will often prevent them from speaking out.
To help tackle some of these inequalties we have lanched to national schemes. To read more about each, click the links below.