We want everyone in mid Essex to Live Well
For us, this means making sure that you, your family and loved ones have high quality health services that support you to stay well throughout your life.
Mid Essex Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is part of the NHS and we are responsible for planning and buying local health services. This process is known as ‘commissioning’.
We have an annual budget of approx. £447 million to spend on healthcare for people living in the districts of Maldon, Braintree and the City of Chelmsford.
The health services we buy include:
- Community services such as district nursing, speech and language therapy, podiatry, community hospitals and stroke rehabilitation.
- Mental health services including psychological therapies, children and young adult mental health support and learning disability services.
- Non-emergency patient transport.
- Continuing health care for people requiring ongoing NHS support.
- Some additional services provided by local GP practices.
- And, jointly with other CCGs, acute hospital services, integrated urgent care including NHS 111 and emergency ambulance transport.
The CCG brings together 44 GP practices in the mid Essex area. Our GP member practices elect GPs who are part of our governing body including our Chair and Vice Chair. All GPs in our local area are closely involved in designing the CCG’s plans through regular discussions. You can read profiles of our Board members here.
We also have a network of patient participation groups (PPGs). PPGs are run locally by volunteer patients and practice managers and help strengthen the relationship between GP practices and their patients. PPGs contribute ideas, feedback and suggestions directly to their practices. You can find out how to join your local PPG here.
We serve 392,000 people who live in the districts Braintree District, Chelmsford City and Maldon District, which together make up mid Essex.
Mid Essex CCG is based in Chelmsford and employs around 150 members of staff across five directorates — clinical commissioning and transformation, nursing and quality, governance and performance, finance and the Mid and South Essex STP Joint Committee.
You can read more about our work in our latest annual report and review.